The following are bullet points which will accompany my upcoming address to the CSRA (Agusta, GA) Libertarian Party. The event will be on Sunday, March 10, 2013 at 1 p.m. at the Roadrunner Cafe, Washington Rd., Augusta. This material is subject to change prior to March 10th and may be deviated from at the event.
How to Interact wih the Police
By: Perrin B. Lovett
Attorney and Counselor at Law
CSRA Libertarian Party Presentation
Sunday, March 10, 2013
These points were developed in part from my recent column, How to Interact with the Police, https://perrinlovett.wordpress.com/2013/02/26/how-to-interact-with-the-police/, 2/26/2013. Please visit my website for more information. The material herein and my remarks and answers during the presentation do not constitute legal advice and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. This information is given for its own sake, it is a general legal education. Consult with an attorney for legal advice in specific cases. The following points were developed as a guide (only) for my presentation to the CSRA Libertarian Party:
- Don’t talk. Do not ever talk to the police under any circumstances.
- Talking gets people arrested and convicted (put in prison).
- There are exceptional reasons why you might need to address the cops sometimes.
- What to do when confronted by the police, especially while carrying a weapon.
- Fifth Amendment; Second Amendment (U.S. Constitution).
- Video (Don’t Talk to the Police): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc.
- Sometimes even “innocent” interaction leads to prosecution.
- Tier One: voluntary meeting, citizen is free to leave. Just walk away.
- Tier Two: Terry Stop; officer investigating some crime, citizen not free to leave.
- NEVER consent to searches.
- Terry – supposed to have probably cause to stop citizen.
- Officer must have something more than a hunch about the possible crime.
- Talking will not help during a Terry stop. Don’t Talk.
- Tier Three: Arrest of citizen; SAY NOTHING! Except ask for an attorney.
- Anything you say can and will be used against you!
- If you’re not talking, you’re not lying.
- Never agree to meet with the police nor answer questions nor make statements.
- Never voluntarily approach the police (except in life or death emergency).
- They lack evidence, don’t help them.
- Thank God for guns! Guns keep us safe! Hoplophobia.
- Don’t believe the government or the news.
- “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” – H.L. Mencken.
- Do not make a spectacle of yourself. Lay low. Keep quiet. Don’t talk.
- The South is still somewhat gun-friendly. The cops are not your friends!
- Carry permits – play the game. Make no waves. Move to a freer State.
- Avoid confrontation; carry concealed.
- If they don’t see it, they won’t question it!
- Open carry does not give probable cause, by itself.
- The cops kill people and are not prosecuted.
- Civil rights violations. 42 U.S.C. § 1983 (KKK Act). Bivens actions.
- Self-defense shootings mean contact with the police. Say as little as possible.
- Get an attorney at that point.
- Armed Citizen’s Legal Defense Fund, www.armedcitizensnetwork.org.
- Cops at the door. Keep it closed. No warrant, no entry. Don’t talk!